I tried a DIY project for my daughters for Christmas a year or two ago. They both still use them as night lights.
You will need:
- A canvas of any size
- Foam decals or stickers. Michael’s and Hobby Lobby both have floral foam stickers, numbers and letters, and a few others. I chose letters.
- Spray paint. Pinterest suggests using light colors, but I chose brighter colors.
- Something to put beneath the canvases.
- A small strand of Chrismas lights (I used white, but colored lights might work as well). White cords blend in with white walls the best.
- arrange the decals or stickers to the canvas.
- Stick the decals or stickers to the canvas.
- Spray paint the entire canvas, until the entire canvas is covered.
- Once dried, remove the stickers or decals.
- Staple the strand of lights to the back of the canvas (only staple to the wood parts, and make sure the lights are directlt behind the areas where the stickers were).
- Leave just enough cord to plug into the light socket.
Trish Eklund is taking a nontraditional approach to parenting children after divorce and remarriage. Raising her two daughters of ten and fourteen with her husband, ex-husband, and his wife, they consult one another on all parenting decisions. Trish has been featured on www.playground-magazine.com, and www.bigblendedfamily.com. She is a regular writer on www.herviewfromhome.com, writer and co-editor for Her View From Omaha. Follow her on Twitter: @trishiewriter, Google +, and Pinterest.